March 30, 2007

Runny Babbit

I know I talk about my kiddos a lot (just wait until Michael and I have our own!) but they do some amazing things that I just have to share, for Jesus is so present in these guys and they accept things with true faith. Side note: In January we focused on poetry with my 3rd graders writing their own poems and we even had a "Coffee House" with parents, donuts, coffee, and poetry. To find a hilarious poem from a book that my class and I love, read on and it's at the end of the blog!


Next week is Holy Week and our class has prepared so well. From offering their hungry stomachs to all the things they have written, learned about, and participated in, I am amazed at their growth in holiness. We all went to confession as a class a couple of weeks ago and it was funny to see them "compete" about who's been to confession the most! We talked about mortal and venial sins and how these separate us from God in particular ways. It's always a challenge to bring "theological" insights down to a third grade level, however not only do we owe our children the Truth, but they can accept it with more faith than most people my age! For example, in talking about how mortal sins are sins that we commit 1)with full knowledge that they are wrong 2)we know it's a grave act, and 3)we do it with our own free will, my kiddos saw that, yes, we do things and later realize they were wrong (venial sins), but sometimes people choose to turn away from Jesus on purpose. And Jesus' mercy is something that must be desired to be received. We talked about how Confession is so important, in that Jesus uses physical things to reveal and help us participate in His grace (aka: the Sacraments, and thus a Priest). Their biggest excitement now is wanting to die right after Confession!

Speaking of death (and yes, I know this blog is getting long), I am also amazed and their concept of life and death. As blogged before, they have a wonderful grasp on Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory and during our morning prayer, just about everyone prays for those who have died. How many prayers from Heaven are they receiving in return!!! After learning about St. Joseph, in prayers they wrote to this great Saint (unprompted from me), most asked for the grace to die as he did, in the arms of Jesus and Mary. This is my ultimate goal, to have my kiddos desire Heaven and being with Jesus more than anything else. Sure they need to know division, but their Salvation is what's most important and they must have more than just faith in Jesus (for even Satan believes in God) and they must make good decisions to follow Jesus everyday.

And, now, as promised...here is a very funny poem written by the great Shel Silverstein. See if you can figure it out.
Enjoy!

Runny said, "I'm lonesome, I feel so glad and soomy.
I need some kugs and hisses - now who's gonna give 'em to me?"
"I will," said Polly Dorkupine.
"Cause you're as cute as a rug in a bug."
Said Runny, "Well, I kake the tiss,
But never hind the mug!"

No comments: