May 4, 2007

The Month of Our Mother

How fitting that in this Easter time we dedicate one of the longest months of our calendar year to our Blessed Mother. In our classroom (and school-wide) we are praying a decade of the Rosary each day and will be making our own Rosaries fairly soon.

Mary is not only the Mother of Jesus, but she is the perfect Christian because she followed Jesus without sin. (Oh, how Joseph must have felt being in the presence of Jesus and Mary! I bet this is what kept him so humble...) Upon the announcement of the Angel Gabriel, and the Visitation to her cousin Elizabeth, we know that she is "full of grace." Luke 1:28 And, "why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" Luke 1:43 We, too, are found blest to have Mary as our advocate, for she is close to Jesus' Sacred Heart. She prays for us and watches over us with a mother's care.

I wish I could have even a piece of her grace and her beauty. In the midst of the worldly definitions of what it means to be a woman or even to have a family, we have a perfect example from Mary. She was not only a perfect woman, the Archetype of Humanity, but she raised Jesus in a family that we should all strive to emulate.

In my attempts to develop a better prayer life, I stumbled across my Catholic Handbook of Prayers. In it, there is a month of short reflections for May dedicated to Mary. This being Michael and my 9th month anniversary (I love you, Michael!) I found the reflection for today more than fitting:

Mary's Family: The Trinity on Earth
"It's only natural that the Church rejoice as it contemplates the modest home of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. We read in the hymn from Martins on the feast of the Holy Family: 'It is pleasing to recall the humble house of Nazareth and it's slender resources. It is pleasing to tell again in song Jesus' hidden life. Jesus grows up in hidden seclusion to be trained in Joseph's unpretentious trade, The loving mother sits beside her dear Son, the good wife by her husband, content if her loving attention can ease and comfort them in their weariness.'"

No comments: