February 22, 2008

hanging out with my best friend...

Last night we turned off the TV, turned on some Kenny Chesney, and played Scrabble. I was also feeling homey and bored yesterday, so I made a pie (but don't tell Michael it was healthy..hehe) which we gobbled down while I soooo beat him (all those triple word scores really add up!).

Michael is totally my best friend. When people ask what married life is like, I tell them I get to live with the person I want to be around the most. And just like best friends, we laugh, we joke, we build each other up, and we also get on each other's nerves. (Hey, marriage is tough, too!) And in reflecting on it, I'm glad I'm married to my best friend, and not just someone who is my husband. When our baby comes along, we'll need this glue to keep our marriage strong - something that is rooted deeper than just our "feelings" about one another.

We've also been talking a lot about how we want to make sure that our baby does not become the center of our family. Of course we, along with many other things, will be put on the back burner for a while, however it is important to keep in mind that our child is joining our family, not starting it. We must still take time for one another and not lose ourselves in the process of becoming parents. Our love is what created our child and our love must be what sustains our family - the love of God working through us. It'll be a journey that we will take together and a journey we won't be perfect at, for sure. But the merit is in the trying!

3 comments:

Seminarian said...

My best friend is Jesus.

noreen said...

Sounds like you couldn't be more on the right track. Wow! What a lucky baby you have. I can't wait to meet him/her. It is hard work, for sure, but nothing has ever been more rewarding. The joy far exceeds the challenges. That said, there are challenges!! Enjoy it all.

As my mom would say, you two are a great team. Keep that up and keep the faith!

Kristina Leonard said...

You are right on! I also got to marry my best friend and yeah, we have our ups and downs, but we both know that God brought us together and as long as we keep Him center of our lives, He'll help us through anything. Congrats on your baby - she is adorable!

God bless all of you!

Kristina (and Art) Leonard