November 5, 2008

We will continue to fight...

To preface, I am grateful to our God who allows walls to be broken down and barriers to be crossed. The fact that, we, as a nation, can look beyond the outside of a person to discover one's true nature is a great thing. Yet, what leave me speechless and broken hearted is that we, as a nation, have failed to see the truth behind this man that is now our President.

Our prayers have now turned from electing a President that will uphold the fundamental value of life to begging God for the conversion of the man now leading our country, for so many souls rest in his hands. From Supreme Court Justices to the promises he's made to make abortion even more accessible, we have elected the most pro-abortion candidate in this nation's history. What is the significance of worrying about gas prices and home mortgages if we cannot say that our right to simply live is the most important issue? I hope it is because people just don't understand. For that reason, I, along with so many others, will continue to fight, continue to educate, and continue to stand our ground no matter how foolish it looks.

Ever since I was in high school God has placed on my heart the versus about being careful to discern false prophets. We have so many people in our nation claiming to have the right answers to the questions we face on a daily basis. From fashion to religion to politics, we must be very discerning in who we trust. For God says it clearly:

Jeremiah 23:16
This is what the LORD Almighty says:
"Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you;
they fill you with false hopes.
They speak visions from their own minds,
not from the mouth of the LORD."

Matthew 7:15
Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing,
but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

Matthew 24:11
...and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.

1 John 4:1
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit,
but test the spirits to see whether they are from God,
because many false prophets have gone out into the world.


As a Catholic Christian who understands that God isn't going to whisper in my ear who to follow and trust, I will use God's Church to discern false prophets - the Church that has withstood even the darkest of days since Christ. I will listen and follow her wisdom that says life is precious, from conception to natural death, that says marriage is between one man and one woman, and that says I must use her as my sounding board for making moral and rational decisions.

I am also saddened by my home state. I was extremely wrong to think that the Assisted Suicide Initiative would be defeated because people would have the competence to look beyond the claim of "death with dignity" and see the abhorrent nature of choosing death. With 54% of the vote currently in, this initiative is ahead 59% to 41%. We are not simply a figurative Culture of Death, it has become real.

I am brought to the Garden of Gethsemane and now more fully understand the sorrow of our Lord. To look deep into His heart and see the children who will have no future, the adults pressured into ending their lives, and the complete disdain we have for the life God gives us, I am horrified. For God will honor our free will, no matter the destruction it brings. I am not trying to be doom-and-gloom, just realistic.

I understand that it takes more than electing a pro-life President to change the fabric of our nation. It takes a movement of people, like you and me, to stand up for what is right no matter the cost. For this reason, as mentioned above, we will continue to fight. We will fight through prayer, through education, and through begging God for His mercy on our nation. We may not see the damage done by this election in the coming months or years, but mark my words we will see it. And I pray that God will spare all those who fight for His will.

No comments: