February 24, 2009

the 2 greatest compliments

Everyone loves to be complimented. It's in our nature. For some, they like to be complimented about their looks or their job or their accomplishments. For me, their are simply two compliments I hold in high esteem and they mean more to me than any other praise. (As a side note, I'm not seeking compliments here - just wanting to share!)


The first is that when people walk into or stay at our home, it is a place of peace. Just like the feeling one has when in a church - the feeling of being "home" - I want our home to reflect what we strive for as a family - joy, organization, peace, and love. When my dad was visiting a couple weeks ago he said that he feels "calm" in our home. This filled me up for days and days! My home is also a reflection of who I am because my time and energy are spent here.

The other greatest compliment I could receive is that my children are happy and holy. I don't expect them to be perfect but I want others to enjoy being around them and to see that they are content and loved.

I remind myself constantly that the only things worthwhile in life are faith and family. Everything else passes away. Therefore, any other praise, although nice, comes in second to the recognition of that which is most important.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I completely agree. This is how I prioritize our life, and I am never sorry. Our home is our haven and our children are nurtured in mind and heart. Now they are bigger I sometimes don't look tired either ;). You're a good Mom to see this so early!