April 24, 2009

7 Quick Takes Vol. 3



1. I realized this week the power of a good Examination of Conscience. I have been neglecting this area of my spiritual life for a long time, with the excuse that I don't have time. But really, I have lots of time (if I make it) -I just think that I didn't want to do it. Michael and I still go to Confession once a month, and I would throw together a list of my sins while waiting in line. It's not easy to look over my life and see where I have failed, but after taking only 10 minutes to fully examine my faults and sins not only was I fully prepared for Confession, but I saw areas in my life I had no idea were screwed up! This is why we must use a solid Examination and not one that makes us "feel good." I have been to Confession many times where a priest will say, "Don't be so hard on yourself...that's not a sin." But to me, it is, because I have chosen wrong again our Lord. Using the same Examination every time also allows us to see faults that are reoccurring. I have made a commitment to examine my conscience every Wednesday night, and I hope this will bring much fruit to my spiritual life.

~~~

2. Discipline starts early, and for Avila that means at 13 1/2 months! If you noticed in the previous "tantrum" video, Avila starts to stick out her bottom lip. This has been a trademark since birth (the first ever look I got of her out of the womb was her with this lip) and although it is cute in one sense, she uses it to try and get what she wants. Well, missy, that stops now! About 3 weeks ago she was throwing a tantrum in her high chair and was majorly sticking out her bottom lip. I flicked her lip and ever since that day, she gets her lip out halfway then pulls it back. Mama: 1, Baby: 0! The next teaching moment is when she starts to whine and say "HEY!" to me, which I simply CANNOT stand. I know she is still considered a "baby" to some, but she knows a lot more than we give her credit for, so I tried a little experiment. Every time she whines or scolds me for something, I look her in the eye and tell her in a firm voice, "You do NOT talk to mama like that!" Then I pause for a moment and say, in a nice voice, "I love you Avila. You can tell mama, 'no thank you.'" Lately she will stop whining, attempt to repeat what I said, and them flash me a smile. (Maybe she's replaced the lip with the smile...however it is, I claim it as another small victory in the world of toddlerhood! Mama: 2, Baby:0!)

~~~

3. I need to make more of an effort to keep Sundays as a day of rest. Wish me luck!

~~~

4. I've had about 5 people congratulate me on being pregnant! I'm not pregnant by the way...yet :) I think there's a rumor going around at work! uh oh!

~~~

5. I am kind of annoyed at the attention being given to Susan Boyle - the new star from Britain's Got Talent. I'm not annoyed at Susan Boyle herself but at the reason why she has become a superstar. What would've happened if she couldn't sing so beautifully? When she walked out on stage, people were laughing at her because of her looks, because she didn't fit the mold of a person with talent or anything to give. But she is valued only because of what she can produce and not because she is simply a person. If she couldn't sing, she would've been written off as a "dork" - a nobody trying to make it in a world where she simply didn't meet up to the standards being set. We should be a world that values people for who they are and not just what they can do.

~~~

6. Avila is not afraid of much (she will step off anything, assuming someone will catch her) but she is deathly afraid of the vacuum. If I don't want her to go near something, I will put the vacuum in front of it!

~~~

7. I LOVE having my washer and dryer on the main level, out of the basement!!! It has opened a new world for me! I now look forward to doing laundry :) And once I put all my cleaning stuff in my new special room, I'm sure I will start to love cleaning again, too.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Noreen and I were talking about the Susan Boyle issue too. It's upsetting that what got everyone's attention was someone considered less-than-beautiful-on-the-outside doing something amazing. Oh, "unattractive" people don't have redeeming qualities? Is that what the world thinks? UGH.