May 1, 2009

7 Quick Takes Vol. 4




1. Last year Grandma Mauss gave Avila a handprint kit for each year from one through five. Since Avila is one year old, I decided (belatedly) to do the one year handprint. After mixing the plaster, and reading the instructions that said to put the hand in the plaster immediately after mixing it, I realized that this was going to be quite a feat! There really is no way to explain to a one year old that they have to make a handprint. Needless to say, after 5 tries and wet plaster all over my kitchen, I finally got a legible print, and if you must know my trick, it took pinning her down and reshaping her little mess into what looks like a hand. All, in all…a success!

~~~

2. I’ve resigned to the fact that my house is either clean or picked up. It is on a good day that both of them should happen simultaneously.

~~~

3. We have finally decided to make Wednesday night family night. That means no work on the house, no work, no meetings, and no extra phone calls. We really need this time together without distractions – especially as Avila is getting older. Of course we have family time at other times, but by scheduling it in on a regular basis, it makes it harder for anything to interfere.

~~~

4. You know those CD’s at Target they sell at the end of the aisle? The one’s labeled “Midnight Moods” or “Cancun” or “Emerald Isle?” They’re awesome! I bought a whole bunch for my classroom a few years ago and now Avila loves to sing and dance to them. We transported to “Cancun” today and played our instruments and danced around the living room. In the future I have plans to create the place we are in and use instruments that go along with the style of music. Can anyone say "costumes?"

~~~

5. Last week I wrote about how Avila hates (I mean really hates) the vacuum. Yesterday I figured out the only way she wouldn’t cry while it was on was if I vacuumed and played the tambourine at the same time. Thank goodness no one was there to watch me…

~~~

6. Now that I have a laundry room to do laundry in (not to mention store my cleaning supplies and extra kitchen items) I feel more like a woman. I know that sounds so weird, but it’s true! I really feel like I can live out my vocation of keeping our home a haven by having the things I use to accomplish this goal neat and organized. Who knew someone would get so excited about organized cleaning supplies...

~~~

7. No matter how hard I try, I simply cannot come to like Reduced Fat Peanut Butter. When we ran out of PB last week, my husband so graciously ran up to the store to get some, however he returned with 2 HUGE jars of the reduced fat version. I finally buckled and bought the full-fat stuff yesterday (it was only a dollar a piece at Fred Meyer!) and am planning about a million batches of peanut butter cookies to use up the other kind.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I have a great recipe for peanut butter cookies, if you are interested! =)