June 19, 2009

7 Quick Takes Vol. 9



1. Today marks the end of the year of St. Paul and the beginning of the Year for Priests. I take this opportunity to let all my seminarian and priest friends know that I, along with many others, will be praying for you in a special way this year. Your sacrifice and love for the Church will only be known in Heaven, as you bring Heaven to us in the form of Jesus Christ Himself! Thank you for assuming the role of the Bridegroom and taking us, the Church, as your Bride. Thank you for your faithfulness and thank you for enduring the trials you do. (On a side note, it is interesting to point out the while the number of men entering the seminary is up, the median age is down! Young men entering the priesthood in this culture? There must be something special about it...)

~~~

2. Today also marks the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and tomorrow the Immaculate Heart of Mary. With their hearts aflamed with love, Jesus promises many things if we offer devotion to His Sacred Heart. This can be done with the Morning Offering everyday, or by going to Mass every first Friday of the month, because every first Friday is dedicated to the Sacred Heart. (How fitting that Michael and I got married on a first Friday at Sacred Heart Parish in Bellingham!) When I was in Mexico a while back I picked up a beautiful image of the Sacred Heart (and the other of Our Lady of Grace) and Avila has the image of the Sacred Heart and Immaculate Heart in her bedroom. You can find the promises of the devotion, as promised to St. Margaret Mary, here.

~~~

3. I have learned to avoid the clock if up at night with Avila. Take this morning for example. Avila awoke at 5:50am (2 hours earlier than usual) and since she has a little cold I thought I'd be nice and pat her back until she fell asleep again. Needless to say, when I looked at the clock at saw that it was 6:20 and I had been in there a half-hour, I got really annoyed. Never mind that it only felt like 5 minutes. But because my mind saw 30 minutes I started to get mad at Avila for not falling asleep faster! So, my new trick is to turn or cover the clock so I don't know how long I've been in her room. This will be invaluable with future newborns and a lesson I will deposit in my brain.

~~~

4. We are currently "working" on the virtue of obedience. I have saved more for a later post, however, I have started to apply the obedience lingo to our dealings throughout the day. I will ask Avila to do or bring things to me that I know she is capable of, and if she does them I praise her and said "You obeyed!!" As she is quick with picking up words, I'm also trying to teach her the phrase, "I obey." She's only said it once and doesn't quite know yet what it means, but we have to start somewhere!

~~~

5. I would have to say that Michael and I are burning the candle at both ends. We have so much going on and are finding little time for each other, which makes our family nights even more indispensable. I pray that God will get us through this busy patch and allow us to enjoy the home and family we are building - not just for a night here and there, but for many nights, in a row.

~~~

6. If you are in the Seattle area soon, Christopher West is coming!!! One of the original speakers of the Theology of the Body (which shall be coming to this blog very soon!) will be at Blessed Sacrament Parish on July 7th from 7:00-9:30pm. You definitely don't want to miss this!

~~~

7. So excited for Father's Day! Avila and I are excited to honor Michael, in this being his 3rd Father's Day (the 1st we didn't even know about!) and we're excited to give him his gift. Well, at least I'm excited about the gift - Avila kind of had a meltdown in making it. More on this after we give it to him!

No comments: