June 22, 2009

Praying for the family...

Watching the announcement of the split of Jon and Kate tonight (a show I will no longer be watching, by the way) was another reminder, among many, of the broken and hurting families in this world. We see all around us stories of abused children, crumbling families, and kids who are hurting in ways they can't even express.

Ever since I had Avila I have been extremely sensitive to the needs of children. Seeing my daughter latch on and respond to the love Michael and I have given her - through our love for her and for one another - has been one of the most fulfilling things in my life. I'm am no perfect parent, by all means, but I try my darndest to make sure our family not only stays in tact but that it is a place of holiness and peace. (It sure takes a lot of humility and shelving of the pride, I can tell you that.) Every single night, after we read books and snuggle in our jammies, I hold her tight and (I am tearing up just thinking about it...) tell her how much I love her. My heart wells, I think of all the kids that don't get snuggles or hugs or "I love you's" - or even parents who love each other - and I am broken at not being able to provide for them, too.

But every night I also realize that, even though I can't be there for all the hurting children (and tonight, the hurting Gosselin children) I do know that I can sure give my all to my one little girl. I can give her my heart and soul in hopes that, by showing one life the love of God through marriage and family, she will have great influence in this world - even if that influence is simply being another soul for Christ.

Knowing the spiritual battle being waged against marriage and the family, I recommit myself to fighting for them until "death do we part..." I ask God's mercy on the children of this world and God's providence that us, adults, will get it together to give them a world we can be proud of.

2 comments:

noreen said...

Well said! I couldn't agree more. The Gosselin kids, and so many others, need all our prayers right now. May they find the Peace the World Cannot Give in the midst of this worldy chaos. And, Avila will most certainly be a kind and loving person as she learns from your examples.

Jessica said...

I think you nailed it right on the head! That whole family really needs our prayers right now. I think what makes me most sad about the situation is that here is a family that is falling apart in front of our very eyes. Yet instead of wanting to help, of offering encouragement, our culture is using it as a source of cheap entertainment. It's a sad sign of how little value is being placed on marriage today and how much more then we need to stand up for what it ought to be. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one!