July 3, 2009

7 Quick Takes Vol. 11




1. Avila would never take a binky when she was a baby, but all of a sudden, she sometimes wants one. She doesn't really suck on it, but keeps it in her mouth while she plays. And sometimes she makes me put one in my mouth, too. I'm glad I am usually the only adult in our house during the day...

~~~

2. I have ironed more in the past 3 days than in the past month! We have cut out our dry cleaning to save money and I am washing and ironing Michael's work clothes. And since he wears a suit everyday, that's a lot of shirts to iron! When we built our laundry room I hinted lots that I wanted a pull-down ironing board, and Michael ended up getting one for me. It was supposed to be a surprise, but when I got home and saw a huge box on our doorstep that read, "Hideaway Ironing Boards, Inc." I knew he would be disappointed that the surprise was ruined!

~~~

3. For those who don't know, Michael is a certified pyro and is on his 11th year of shooting the fireworks show (with Western Display Fireworks) at Ft. Lewis on July 4th. He and his football buddies strap on their old football helmets and their tattered clothes from years prior and use road flares to hand shoot a 45 minute fireworks show. It is a good reward for working all day to build the show and lots of fun to sit close and pray they don't blow themselves up. It is a bit nerve wracking for the wives, but still a great time and awesome memories.

~~~

4. I am so excited that Christopher West is coming to Seattle next week! He'll be at Blessed Sacrament on Tuesday July 7th from 7:00-9:00. If you are in the area, you don't want to miss it!

~~~

5. Avila now calls Michael and I "mamadaddy" or "daddymama." I think that she says them both either because she's beginning to understand that in marriage the two become one (right...) or she's really saying it because she's bound to get one of us to respond to whatever it is she wants.

~~~

6. I wish people took their turns at 4-way stops. Either people don't know how to drive (which I encounter more and more on a daily basis) or it's a control thing to see if they can sneak through. Either way, it's extremely frustrating!

~~~

7. Life is full of seasons: seasons for joy, for sadness, for pain, and for glory, among other things. I am in a season of more joy than I have ever been in my entire life. Our marriage is at a great spot (with lots of hard work, of course) and just about every moment I spend with Avila is so much fun. I feel so blessed by the Lord - especially for all the hard times we had to endure when Avila was a newborn. She has grown out of her reflux and lack of sleep and has blossomed into the sweetest little toddler - a girl that, at this stage of life, I can truly enjoy in all her happiness. Thank you, Lord, for the incredible gift of this child in our lives.

No comments: