August 7, 2009

7 Quick Takes Vol. 13



1. I must admit, I have some meal tricks up my sleeve in case Avila gets picky or we are in a hurry. Since our swimming lessons are in the morning and Avila usually gets up right before we need to leave, I feed her a couple of huge scoops of peanut butter (and, yes, I make sure she doesn't choke). She just can't get enough of it! I guess she's just like her mommy, because that's what I eat for breakfast, too.

~~~

2. Avila's "reflection of Kristine as a toddler" side is beginning to emerge. When I was little, if I didn't get what I wanted, I would tear my clothes. (I'm so glad I didn't carry this habit into adulthood...) What's Avila's tactic? Throwing Up. She's done this 3 times in the past week - when she is screaming and throwing a tantrum, she will scream so hard that she pukes. And it's occurred at places where I didn't have extra clothes: the doctor's office, at the park, and on the boat (on our anniversary...see below). But the funny thing is, no matter how long her tantrum lasts or what it's about, she always comes to me when it's over and snuggles for a long time. Sometimes she just even needs me to tell her "stop" because she can't calm herself down. Anyway, I hope this is just a stage...
~~~

3. Michael and I had a really nice anniversary. I wanted to keep things low-key and do something to create memories, so we took Avila out on the boat at mom and dad mauss' and ate Subway for dinner. Avila L.O.V.E.D. being on the water and when the boat was cruising slow, I would let her walk around. Well, when it was time to head back to the house, I of course needed to hold her on my lap. UH OH...here came the tantrum. She ultimately puked on her clothes as mentioned above, and since it was chilly on the water I had to wrap her in a dish towel and put a life jacket over her legs to keep her warm! We eventually dropped her off with grandpa mauss while Michael and I cruised a bit more and enjoyed time without baby. It was a great anniversary and I'm looking forward to even more anniversaries to come. (And don't worry, mom, Avila did have her life jacket!)












~~~

4. I finally gave in and bought a Ped Egg. I love it! I don't get pedicures often (maybe 2x a year) and I always complain how awful my feet are. Now I can get the smooth feet I've always wanted (not like you needed to know that...). But, the product gets my seal of approval!

~~

5. I decided to extend my evening routine. It was fairly "long" before, however I have included things like making sure the family room and kitchen are cleaned up, my clothes are put away, and the coffee pot is set so that I have a nice home to wake up to in the morning. It really has affected my mood in a positive way when I do this and I hope I can keep it up.

~~

6. Avila LOVES to read. She follows me around like a little duckling and drags piles of books wherever she goes. She reads by herself for the hour that I workout and she hasn't even played with any of her other toys for over a week (not even her babies!). One of my main goals as a mom is to instill the love of reading and writing in our children and with Avila I started early. I think it helps, too, that I make funny noises when I read (once again another reason why I'm glad I'm the only adult in the house during the day!). I can't wait until she's a bit older and I'm going to make her a little "book nest" with comfy pillows and blankets that's her spot to enjoy books.









~~

7. Yesterday, I asked Avila, "How are you?" Her answer: "Happy."

1 comment:

Erin said...

Congrats on three years!! I am sure Avila's tantrum thing is a stage....going through a screaming issue with my emma right now. Angelica has this gagging reflex she does when she sees things she doesn't like and when she coughs when she has a cold she coughs so much she always throws up. So annoying....learning to have outfits on hand too!! Love the pictures!