October 23, 2009

7 Quick Takes Vol. 17



1. Theology of the Body NW is going really well. I am currently teaching at St. Mark's in Shoreline and at the University of Puget Sound. I hope to continue to spread this message at more parishes and youth groups in the coming future. It is so invigorating to see young (and not so young) people finally realize the beauty of sexuality lived according to God's plan for salvation. The notion that sex is an icon of the Trinity and, if lived out correctly, is a major path to Heaven is definitely different from the oppressive view of sex that so many people think is the view of the Catholic Church. In the coming weeks I hope to share the teachings on the Theology of the Body here on our blog. Stay tuned!

~~~

2. Tomorrow is planned with an activity that includes pumpkins and saving babies. You should try it! Click here...

~~~

3. As promised, here is video of Avila in Spokane, rocking out in the car. Isaac joined her for a while but then Avila's dance moves became a bit too weird...




~~~

4. Speaking of singing and dancing, here is another video. Avila was trying out the karaoke machine I got for youth group.





~~~

5. I am just about convinced this baby is a boy. With Avila I craved salad and apples. With this baby it's Doritos and Macaroni and Cheese. We're not going to find out so I guess it's a few more months of waiting to see. Other signs this pregnancy is different: I am still sick (yucko), I haven't gained any weight yet (with Avila I put on 10lbs in one month), and I am waaaaay more forgetful (either that or I can't remember how forgetful I was with Avila). Don't tell my dad, but I'm secretly rooting for a girl so Avila can have a close sister friend and so I don't have to buy any baby clothes!

~~~

6. My absolutely wonderful husband gave me my Christmas present early. He got me season tickets to the Pacific Northwest Ballet! We are going to see the Nutcracker together the weekend after Thanksgiving :) and the 3 other ballets I get to see are: Sleeping Beauty, Coppelia, and Hansel and Gretel. I feel like I'm transformed to another world when I'm at the ballet and some of the best memories I have are from dancing. Thank you, Michael.

~~~

7. Here is a fabulous fall recipe for pork tenderloin. I made it twice last week...mmmm so good.

Roasted Pork with Blackberry Sauce
1-1/2 lb. pork tenderloin
1/4 cup blackberry preserves, melted and cooled
1/4 cup dry white wine or apple juice
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
1/2 tsp. snipped fresh rosemary
Steamed green beans (optional)
Finely shredded orange peel (optional)

Directions
1. Place tenderloin in resealable plastic bag set in shallow dish. For marinade, in bowl whisk together preserves, wine, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, garlic, soy sauce, 1 teaspoon orange peel, and rosemary. Pour marinade over pork; seal bag. Marinate, refrigerated, 2 to 5 hours, turning bag occasionally.

2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Drain pork, reserving marinade. Place meat on rack in shallow roasting pan. Roast 35 to 45 minutes or until slightly pink in center (155 degrees F).

3. Meanwhile, for sauce, in small saucepan bring reserved marinade to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Slice pork; serve with sauce and green beans. Top with additional orange peel. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: