April 5, 2010

am I just as ready for Christ?

It is no secret that the last days (well, weeks...OK, OK, months...) of a pregnant woman's time are filled with a frenzied and focused energy called nesting. This is a time where every crumb on the floor (not to mention every wall in the house missing) is met with over anxiousness that, if the crumb remains, the baby will be entering an "unfit" home and if something isn't done about it right now the world will fall apart. (OK, maybe this is a bit over exaggerating :) )

I don't even try to explain to my husband the urge to clean, organize, and make perfect our home but he actually made it all clear to me the other day...When attempting to tell a guy friend what nesting is like, he likened it to preparing for one of the most important guests you could ever have and never knowing when they're going to arrive. This got me thinking. Of course our baby is an important guest - and more than a guest - a new addition to our family. A person that will grow up and be nurtured in the home we provide for him or her. However, there is someone even more important than our new child that could grace our home at any time and, in all honesty, I don't know if I'm as ready for Him as I am for our baby.

Over the past couple weeks I have been asking myself if I am just as ready for Christ as I am for our child. And, as mentioned above, it put me in my place to say that I am not. When it comes to our baby, the clothes have been washed for weeks, rooms are vacuumed and dusted every other day, meals have been made and frozen, and plans have been made for every scenario we can think of. However, when it comes to preparing for our Lord's arrival - whether that be on earth, at the end of my life, or in my day-to-day encounters with others - I am all too quick to postpone the things that will get me ready. Prayer is easily put on the back burner and other things are deemed "more important" than readying my soul. It hit me when I realized that I could stay up until almost midnight and clean the bathroom, but my night prayers are usually skipped because I am "too tired."

It is my hope and prayer from this new realization that I will begin to put the same amount of time and energy into my relationship with Christ as I do for other things. Because its not enough to say that "God understands" when I'm tired or have too much going on to give Him His due time. If I can dig deep to get ready for baby, than I can also dig as deep to get ready for Christ. For just as our baby is set to arrive at an unknown day and an unknown time, so is Our Lord. And I don't want to be caught off guard with any crumbs on my soul.

"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone."
Matthew 24:36

1 comment:

The Herring family said...

GREAT post, Kris. And so timely for me, as well. Keeping you in prayer.