May 14, 2010

A day at a time

Well, our little one will be 5 weeks old tomorrow! And what an awesome 5 weeks it's been. With Avila, we had struggled with much from the time of her arrival until she was a few months older - with things such as thrush, mastitis, reflux, and my postpartum depression - however, with Max, the transition has seemed to be a lot smoother. Not only is he more laid back in his personality and he doesn't have the same health issues, but I am more laid back as a mom. And even if we did deal with the same things this time around we are "seasoned" parents who have more tricks up their sleeves!

A motto I have developed since Max's birth that has helped me tremendously in getting through the challenges of raising two kids (on little sleep) is: a day at a time. I realize that God gives us the grace to only handle today and that tomorrow's grace will be available tomorrow. It is really easy to get caught up in the over generalizations of motherhood - for example, just because Max gets up every hour one night doesn't mean it'll now be like this every night to follow. With Avila, I allowed myself to get worked up about future struggles and I failed to recognize that the hard times don't last forever. But his time around I focus the day at hand and trust that future days will be provided for when the time comes.

In addition, before Max was born I was both nervous and ready for my postpartum depression to return. Since it is now part of my medical history, I do have a greater chance of developing this after every child we have. Knowing this, however, Michael and I started taking precautions and setting things in place to hopefully curb this disease. Recognizing my triggers with Avila were lack of sleep, lack of exercise, and becoming overwhelmed with all my duties, we now make sure that these three things are provided for in my life. I make sure that naps are part of my weekly routine - even if it's 20 minutes dozing on the couch with a baby in my arms. I make sure that I exercise most days of the week and eat as healthy as I can. And I make sure to ask for help with my house when I need it - having friends come over to hold a baby and watch Avila for an hour while I clean, leaning on my husband to help with whatever it is I can't accomplish, or simply letting go of the fact my home is not perfect and putting that energy into loving my children. And, at least for now, our plan is working! I find myself joyful (most days) and truly taking life one day at a time.

I may not be able to formulate any fancy words or eloquent phrases due to "newborn mommy mind," however what I can say is God is good and when we "lean not on our own understanding" and trust Him, things seem to work out so much better. I hope I can continue to carry this notion with me through both the easy and difficult days of raising a family.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

You are such a great mom sister! I'm so lucky to have such a great role model of what it means to be a mother and wife. Stay strong and let me know if I can help in anyway:)