September 30, 2010

I needed this...

Wow, I realize that I have been complaining a lot lately, and this post I came across this morning (thanks, Lindsey!) really solidified for me how negative I have been about my situation in life.

With two little ones, a house to keep up, and a husband who is busy busy busy with work, football, and house projects I have turned so deeply inward and focused on all the things "wrong" with my situation. I feel this constant pull in two different directions, 1) to feel sorry for myself and 2) to just get over it and not only make the best of my situation but also embrace it and view it as a season in life full of God's blessings. My heart lands in either camp depending on how I feel when I wake up, but this is no way to live - allowing my emotions to be the dictator of my life. So, when coming across this reminder it was like God shook me a bit and woke me up from my pity party.

I have always known that God is present in the mundane, daily tasks of our lives. In fact, it is in the seemingly insignificant that He is often present the most. The times when my ears are attuned to His presence, I can hear Him whispering to me about the value of diaper changes and the holiness of doing the dishes for the 50th time that day. But when I am focused on myself and all the other "better" things I could be doing with my time or when I keep complaining that I need a break, I lose His voice and the tasks set before me seem overwhelming and of little value other than to get through the day. This is no way to live, let alone become holy.

Here is an excerpt from the post I listed above that I found to be a great reminder:

One of the most beautiful teachings found in the Catholic Church is that of the sanctifying power of everyday life - even the most mundane of chores is an opportunity to grow in grace and become more and more like our Savior, Jesus the Christ. From the writings of St. Paul to St. Therese to St. Josemaria Escriva, we see the same theme repeated over and over - every act, no matter how small, can be offered to God and "used" for our sanctification. What a beautiful truth!

She then posted a quote from Br. Lawrence, a Carmelite monk who lived in the 1600's. I think I shall copy her and post this behind my sink, too. =)

"Lord of all pots and pans and things, make me a saint by getting meals and washing up the plates! The time of business does not differ from the time of prayer. In the noise and clatter of my kitchen, I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the Blessed Sacrament."

So, as I set about the long day before me I vow to see my situation in life as a blessing - a time where God desires for me to grow in grace and sacrificial love for my husband and children. If I can embrace the heaviness of my vocation as a wife and mother, rather than balk at it when times get rough, I will not only be happier but also build up my treasure in heaven. For a "little" work now is definitely worth it if God has waiting for me my ultimate reward - eternity with Him in splendid bliss.

"Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.' " Mark 8:34-35

No comments: