November 3, 2010

Like a mother knows her child...

One thing that continues to surprise me ever since I became a parent is how intimately I know my children. There is not a sound or a movement that I can't discern its meaning and I can tell what my children need by a simple look in their eye. For example, I know that when Avila gets defiant all she is really looking for is a hug to set her straight and I know just the right way to cuddle Max so he will fall asleep for his nap. I know when they are happy and sad and frustrated and content just by a little sound heard from a room away. And I bet most moms can say the same thing. (Yes, dads, too. Don't want you to feel let out!)

For the past few months, in the midst of discerning the needs of our children, I am constantly reminded of how similar the relationship between parent and child is to the relationship between God and us, His chidren. If I know so deeply what my children need or want at any given moment, how much more does our Heavenly Father know about us? In contemplating this, I am reminded that God's love is not some far off distant thing, but it is as real and close as Max is to me when we are snuggled up in a rocking chair. His love is even more discerning than when I am trying to figure out what will comfort Avila when she's sick. And His love is especially in tune with our heart's deepest needs and desires at any given moment.

I am so thankful that God called me to motherhood, because it is through my relationship with my children that I have grown deeper in my relationship with the Lord. By physically going through the ups and downs, joys and heartaches of having my own children I am struck by how God goes through the same thing with us. Motherhood makes me appreciate God even more and I feel so much more comforted knowing that God will take even better care of me than I do for my own children.

"As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you"
Isaiah 66:13

No comments: