March 30, 2011

what we've been up to...

Snippets of our crazy life this past week...looking forward to a less busy, less sick-filled month of April.

1. Theology of the Body. In the past month and a half I have given 12 talks. Praise God this message is getting out! And thanks to my hubby and our moms and everyone who's pitched in to make all this traveling possible.

2. Basement Update. Sheetrock is DONE and the mudding/taping will happen this week. All that is left is to paint, install the floors/cabinets/trim, and MOVE! Excited is an understatement. I think I almost cry every time I go downstairs.

3. Running. I'm still running and I love it more than ever. My time to release and reflect. A lot of prayer and "insight" happens during this time - reflection that leads me to be a better wife, mother, and person (at least that's the goal). Working towards the Tacoma Half Marathon in just a month - which I will be running with my sisters and my mom.

4. Yogurt Making. I have been making my own yogurt for a couple months now and it saves us so. much. money. We seriously go through a gallon of yogurt a week. From the store this would cost about $12 a week, but by making it at home it costs just $2.50. That is a savings of almost $40 in our pocket each month. And since we are getting closer to the basement being done (and closer to the big expenses that go with it), my goal is also to use my coupon stockpiles and only spend $50 a week on groceries this month. April is a long month and this may be a stretch, but I am hoping that we can be creative with meals and be discerning about every single dollar going out. Combine this with my Lenten sacrifice of not buying anything for myself/the kids except grocery items and hopefully we will be closer to the basement than we think.

sitting on the fermenting yogurt...

5. Lent. Lent is still going well. Avila doesn't even ask for dessert anymore. Except it was kind of ironic we made these Lenten cookies. At least we can enjoy them on Sundays...We are going to spend the next few weeks focusing on the Stations of the Cross. When coloring the Station where Jesus is nailed to the cross, Avila looked at the soldier with the hammer about to drive a nail in and said, "Look, mom! He's helping Jesus! He is so nice, just like Simon." Not quite, sister. But good try. =)



6. Stomach flu. I will spare everyone the details, but we were down and out for a while. Max got hit the hardest - 9 days to be exact. My poor washing machine. I wish I could say I offered up every moment up, but you do what you can. I think the best story comes from Avila, though.

I put her to bed the evening I got sick and was preparing myself to be up with her sometime that night. I woke a few times and noticed that her light was on in her bedroom, but I didn't think anything of it. The next morning, I went into her room and she had puked all over her bed. I noticed there was half a package of baby wipes pulled out and a pile of clothes on the floor. Apparently she had thrown up in the middle of the night, changed her pajamas, tried to clean it up with the baby wipes, and then she slept in her chair. Poor thing! It still breaks my heart to tell this story. What she was thinking, I don't know. But I do know that my 3-year-old is quite resourceful.

laying in mommy and daddy's bed, watching TV

about a quarter of the laundry done last week

how I fed Max when he was sick. He was not interested in eating for days, so I finally put all his food on the chair and let him grab it when he wanted.

7. Finally better! We're all better now and enjoying some good play time together since sister doesn't have music or Catechism this week (spring break).

think I'm getting ready to stand and walk?!

wrestling. all the time.

look, mom! I made a house on my leg! (if you look at it upside down, it has 2 windows, a door, and even some grass. she wouldn't let me wash it off for 2 days)

No comments: