August 26, 2011

7 Quick Takes

1. Amelia was here!!! Amelia was here!!! Making a last minute decision to come out west, my good friend from college and her two adorable boys came out for some catching up. We sure packed a lot into two days: the zoo, a BBQ, and trips to visit other friends. Her kids were rock stars and Avila sure misses her new buddy, Jack. Maybe we will have to take a road trip to the great state of Wyoming sometime......

2. I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and officially tired of being a tired blob. While sick, I give my self permission to take a break from getting up early, working out, and anything else not conducive to nausea. Although the sickness isn't completely gone (this baby sure does NOT like slurpees...) I won't succumb to it any longer. Time to set the alarm, get running again, and get my energy back. And it's really time to stop putting off the laundry.

3. Football is up and running and the Bellarmine Lions look awesome this year. Placing 3rd in state last year and with almost all of their star players returning, it is going to be a heck of a season. We've made it to a few practices are looking towards a season that will (hopefully?) extend into December. All kidding aside, I'm not worried about another long season. SO MUCH easier this year with older kids on the same schedule and a house with lots more room to spread out. Plus, Max needs to get a good look at his future. Hitting isn't allowed now, but in 14 years it will be encouraged.

4. Speaking of Max, be careful what you name your kids. As many of my friends will attest, the meaning of a child's name really does have a lot to do with their personality. Maximilian is technically named after St. Maximilian Kolbe (the first martyr of charity - a priest who gave his life in place of a husband and father in a concentration camp) but Max also means "strongest." Oh boy is he strong. He just held a chin-up on our pull-up bar and the other day I caught him squat, pick up an 8lb. weight, carry it to the other side of the room, and squat to put it down. That is seriously a third of his body weight, although I did envision a lost toe if he dropped that thing. He has lats to die for and probably not an ounce of body fat. But, he is still our gentle giant - so laid back and so kind - and if I were in the business of making an easy life for myself, I would have all the rest of my babies just like him.

5. After washing and drying and caring for men's dress shirts for 5 years now, I can tell you I've found the best brands that last through washings, ironings, and dry cleanings. The top two: Nordstrom brand (found at Nordstrom) and Joseph & Feiss (found at Men's Warehouse). I had a few of these two types of shirts wadded in a ball for way too long and they ironed like a dream. Plus they aren't like other shirts that thin out and get holes. Nordstrom has their shirts on sale during Anniversary in July and during Men's Half Yearly with competitive prices. And Men's Warehouse offers "buy-one-get-one-free" sales on EVERYTHING a couple times a year (one such sale is starting tomorrow). That means 2 shirts, 2 pairs of shoes, 2 suits for the price of one. Oh, and for you stylin' men out there, they also carry "7 for all Mankind jeans." I can't convince my hubby to get a pair, but at two for one I wish they carried women's sizes!

6. After being out of the teaching circuit for a few years, I can say that I am getting excited once again to get my lesson planner book and start making fun bulletin boards (because it's all about the crafts, right?). Excitement always builds late in the summer as kids gather their backpacks and head off to school, and it's no less here at the Mauss household. To save money and explore homeschooling, we are doing PreK/Kindergarten with Avila at home this year and I am itching to get going. I have all these ideas swarming in my head and if anyone with young ones wants to join me, I'll post our weekly "curriculum" on the blog. I am keeping it easy with focusing on a theme a week. And each week will have a cooking project, art/craft project, math activity, and literacy activity associated with the theme. Plus, we will keep up with our reading, Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, KinderMusik, and religion lessons following the liturgical calendar. More to come...

7. Kids still say the darndest things. Except Avila's quotes are a bit more "diva-ish" lately. Case in point:

"Avila will you get brother some toys for the pool"
"No"
"Let me rephrase that. Please get brother toys for the pool."
"Okay."

Me, sitting down to breakfast of eggs and wonderful yogurt dip...
"Oh, mom that smells so bad. Will you please eat somewhere else."

1 comment:

Little Blogger said...

Congrats on your pregnancy! I can't wait to hear about your preschool adventures with Avila. Wish you guys lived closer ;)
Bev Williams