September 12, 2011

7 Quick Takes

1. I am up before the kids. This is, um, a super big deal because it hasn't happened in 10 weeks. Before pregnancy I was rockin' it and up at 5:30 am to pray, workout, and have my pot of coffee before the kids got up. Once death set in (aka: the first trimester) I seriously shut off the monitor and let the kids hang out in their beds until I got them up. But after reading the quote (below) Cheri put up by St. Josemaria Escriva, I was convicted. Plus, I really need about 20 minutes of aimless computer searching all by myself to dispel my morning grumpiness...

Conquer yourself each day from the very first moment, getting up on the dot, at a set time, without granting a single moment to laziness. If with the help of God, you conquer yourself in that moment, you'll have accomplished a great deal for the rest of the day.


2. As kids get cuter, discipline gets harder. It has always been hard for me to say "no" to Max because he turns me to mush when I do so: kissing, smiling, and laughing to get out of whatever he was in trouble for. Avila must be learning his tricks. Yesterday in the car, she had a meltdown caused by too much fun, not enough sleep, and a lack of chocolate milk. Promising her major discipline when we got home, she pulled herself together. I shut off the car and unbuckled her seat belt only to have her look up at me with wet blue eyes, a tear-stained face, and say: Oh mom. I love you. I am sorry for hurting you. It was all my fault." Her sincerity and remorse struck a chord and mama turned to mush, once again.

3. Oh my goodness. Pink chalk plus a hose turned on by the kids plus running around in the house plus an already grumpy mom did not make for a good combination. A bath, a promise to go to Confession, and a few Hail Mary's later and things are better. At least the kids smell good...

4. I just cleaned my make-up brushes. Ewwwww. It was something I kept putting off and because nesting sets in super early for me, I had the motivation today to tackle this task. (And I'm posting it because I can't think of anything else to write that doesn't have to do with kids or being pregnant...) I don't know why I waited this long - it only took a few minutes - and in an attempt to preserve what we own, this was a job well chosen. Here is a easy-to-follow tutorial if you need one: link here.

4. I think I forgot how to cook. Giving myself many excuses not to cook during the early stages of baby-growing, we resorted to mac n' cheese, quesadillas, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets and (the kids' favorite) the Golden Arches. But now that I'm feeling better, I seem to blank out every time I sit down to menu plan. I can't even pull together spaghetti or tacos, even though I have everything on hand. Lucky for me I have kids who love all of the above and a husband who would eat all of the above every night if he could. Current goal: get my act together...

5. Speaking of food, being gluten intolerant is not fun during pregnancy. Since many GF foods are expensive and I try at all costs to avoid buying them, I eat pretty clean: lots of veggies, fruits, meat, eggs, potatoes, etc. But of course none of that sounds good when all you want is a Big Mac or Taco Bell or even a slice of real toast. To top it all off, if I let myself get hungry then I would get even more sick. It's better now that I am actually craving salads and everything else I used to like and in the end I will probably have a healthy pregnancy for it. That is if I don't polish off the GF cheesecake someone made for me.

6. I, like many of you I'm sure, am soo excited for fall. Pumpkins (seeds, lattes, and some on the porch), leaves turning (but not the raking part), chilly mornings (made a lot better now that I'm on break from running), fire (if I had a fireplace), hot chocolate (with additives, if I could have them), boots (because I have too many pairs), scarves and hats (again, because I have too many), and putting the pool away (I'm tired of filling it up every. single. day). Yup, I'm excited for fall.

7. GO LIONS! Even though they have a target on their back and are the team to beat, the B Prep Lions are rockin'it. 2-0 so far for the season. With another home game this week, we get to see Max back in action: dancing on the sidelines, trying to climb the fence to see daddy, and making lots of friends with the fans. If you want to see a boy have fun, watch Max at a game or shadow-box with him. Either way you are guaranteed a good laugh.

No comments: