December 6, 2011

28 weeks

Or the start of the 3rd trimester, however you'd like to call it. Either way, we're getting closer...and my body knows it. My braxton hicks contractions started around 20 weeks and are like a daily "friend" reminding me to slow down. Sometimes they try to trick me into thinking we need to make a trip to the doctor, but I'm doing better about taking it easy (by spending too much time on Pinterest) and keeping them at bay.

On the flip-side of pregnancy ailments, we are so excited to meet this little one. Like I don't think I was even this excited for Avila or Max to come. Having perspective (that pregnancy ends, that babies do eventually sleep, that toddlers grow into big kids, and that life is so much fun with little ones around) is a big part of it. The first few months aren't my fav, but once they get a little bigger and start filling the home with laughter and joy, I'm sold on this whole house-full-of kids thing. It felt like yesterday that Max was in my belly, rolling around and making me tired, but now he is this amazing little 20 month-old with his own personality and his own way of bringing to our home just what it needs. I can just picture it, too, with this little one we have yet to meet. What will he or she be like? What will they look like? How will they become a part of this family? These questions keep me pressing on through already sleepless nights and horrible maternity jeans.

After taking all the Christmas decorations down from the attic, I was struck by the fact that when we put them away, we will be bringing down our baby things. Sure, these next few months of the end of pregnancy and beginning of a new little life won't be easy, but being able to see a few months and years down the road reminds me that it's all worthwhile. Not only can I forsee the joy, but I can forsee all the ways these kids make me change for the better. Personality quirks and vices that I would never be able to conquer on my own, or even with the help of my amazing husband, are sloooowly being conquered and I have my kids to thank for that. So, with all of that said, may the good Lord give me a joyful attitude and the grace to bear these final weeks with patience. And may He bless baby Mauss with good health and a safe birth as he or she prepares to enter this world.







Most of my maternity attire consists of the most-comfortable-$9 pants-in-the-world (which can be purchased at Costco...) pictured above, but when we do get dressed up once a year for a Christmas party I will throw on my red heels no matter what. And believe it or not, I made it the whole night through.




1 comment:

Joe, Anna and baby Gus said...

Looking great, and so healthy! Keep up the baby growing, mama!