June 1, 2012

June Daybook

Outside my window...
Rain taking care of watering my flowers for me. And two new trees in the front yard. After putting them in Avila thanked me for the new "oxygen source."

I'm thankful for...
The beautiful place in which we live. I probably wouldn't be a runner if I didn't have pretty things to look at: the water, trees, rolling hills. I even ran over the Narrows Bridge for the first time and was kind of in awe.

I'm thinking about...
The day Levi will be on a schedule. I'm kinda fantasizing about it, really. But until then I will play the "are you tired or are you not?" game - his favorite.

From the kitchen...
Exactly a month that our kids have been gluten free (at home at least.) Oh, and daddy, too! I feel like I'm in the kitchen half the day cutting up fruit and veggies or trying out new recipes, but it's been worth it. We've also been "paperless" in the kitchen for two months now - no paper towels or paper napkins. If you want the best paper towel/cleaning alternative use these. I think I walk around all day with one in my hand, wiping things down, making things shiny. I love shiny.

We are learning...
Just ordered a new handwriting and reading curriculum for Avila. We are starting with formal Kindegarten curriculum in the fall and I'm gearing up with starting to plan. I figure if I give myself a couple months I won't have an excuse as to why I don't have my act together come fall time.

I am reading...
Running blogs. I'm addicted. After I close a post half the time I almost go and sign up for a marathon. But my readings have led me to my new favorite piece of running gear, eva: Compression socks. You know, like the ones people in hospital beds or on airplanes wear to keep the blood circulating? Except these are made for running. I wear them before, during, and after long runs (anything over 6 miles) and my legs feel ah-mazing. I used to get so exhausted after a long run but these have changed the game. And did I mention they come in pink? You will know who I am because I'm the lame-o girl running (dancing) down the road with her music rockin', yellow highlighter vest, and pink socks. I strive for coolness...

I am hoping...
That our ice machine AND computer aren't really broken.

I am praying for...
My beautiful and amazing cousing, Jessica, who needs to have surgery to correct her scoliosis. Please remember her in your prayers, as well - for her strength and courage and faith in the Lord to get through this difficult time. She just got Confirmed and so I know the Holy Spirit is and will be upon her in a very special way.

I am hearing...
"Mom, play with me!" Avila and Max love their brother, but they are also missing time with mama. Between nursing and chopping vegetables I haven't given them as much attention as usual and, while this comes with the newborn territory, it's something I'm focusing extra hard on this summer. My phone is staying in one spot on my desk, the iPad is staying in the nursery for nursing sessions (except when we rock out to music while playing in the blow-up pool), and I am committing as much extra time to the kids as I can without the house falling apart.

Towards fitness and health...
In order to get my happy juices flowing (aka: serotonin), be a good mom, and ward off post-partum depression for which I am prone, it is my goal to workout/be active 5 days a week. When Michael walks in the door, I run out for a quick 30 minute jaunt or take Levi's morning nap on Saturdays to do my long runs. Other times I will do circuits in the garage while the kids play outside or sometimes I even play along with them: running around, doing jumping jacks, letting them crawl under me while I do planks. It hasn't always been easy as Levi still wakes up 2-3 times a night, but if I let myself succumb to the exhaustion I would be in a much worse place and would probably win the worst mom award most days of the week.

I am working on...
Using nursing time for more than surfing the internet. Like, ya know, praying or something.

Around the house...
Baby stuff, everywhere. Swing, bumbo, bouncer, cradle, play gym, toys. And lots and lots of laundry.

A few plans for the weekend/week ahead..
Michael starts football, Avila has one of her last ballet classes before summer, run for me on Saturday, Mass, and a BBQ.

One of my favorite things...
Baby noises. C'mon, what else was I going to say?

A picture to share...
Well, computer is broken, so no picture. How about an Avila quote instead:

Avila: "Hey mom, I have a homophone. Wine and whine! Like wine you drink and whine when Max cries! And I have another one: father, father, father. Like dady is a father, Father Brad is a father, and Jesus is a father!"

No comments: