1. Football season wound down with a trip to the State Championship game! Although Bellarmine lost in a match with Skyline, it was an adventurous season filled with ups, downs, and lots of busyness. Plus, 2nd in State ain't too bad. And now, a month later, Max is still saying "Daddy, football coach." This is his answer to "Where is daddy today?" or "What are you thankful for, Max?" or "What was your happy part today?" Yeah, Max is officially a football-boy, grunting and all.
2. I am still running all over the place, like the little Honey-Badger I am. My first marathon was supposed to be on December 15th. 4 other girlfriends were running the marathon and 1 other girlfriend, Lisa, was running the 50K (31.5 miles). I ended up running with Lisa for the first 20 miles and when the split off happened for the 50K I realized I was feeling great and I said, "What the heck? I'm gonna go for it." Soooo, my marathon turned into a 50K! I was sore for about two days and started to gear up for another marathon, which took place two weeks later. Except that one wasn't as fun. Running 26.2 miles on a SLANTED ROAD killed my right leg and I ended up shuffling from mile 6 on. But, whatever. That's like life, right? Can't always pick the course, and even when it hurts so bad you want to give us, you just gotta put one foot in front of the other. And now I'm officially a Marathon Maniac!!
3. Update on Avila: her little girl voice is almost gone! My soon-to-be 5 year old is growing up. :/ Her little girl voice is fading away and she is such a little lady. Oh, and she thinks she's in 1st grade and gets really offended if you tell her otherwise. I think it came from me telling her she'd reading and doing math like a 1st-grader (oh. my. word. this kid is smart...) and now she has a big head or something. Actually I think she's just excited for high-school. Because to her it goes: 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, High School! Not quite. Don't grow up that fast little girl!
6. That's OK I had to cancel my run because I replaced it with a 50K. Actually two of them. Uh oh, I've been bitten by the marathon bug.
7. On a final note, this Advent and Christmas season has been so wonderful! I ditched anything non-essential and we focused on the basics. The kids had their Advent wreath and Advent calendars and we did those well. We learned all the songs to sing at Christmas Mass. We focused intensely on the impending birth of Our Lord and not on the impending gift-giving. And because we don't really do Santa Claus (not that Santa is bad or anything. For us, St. Nick comes on Dec 6th and leaves little goodies in their shoes) the kids woke up on Christmas morning excited for Jesus' Birthday! Avila and Max ran to put him in the manager we created under the tree. They sang "Happy Birthday" to him at breakfast. And when they were watching TV that morning, they had no clue a stack of presents were sitting right in front of them! Each kid got a couple special things (except for Levi, he got a Mr. Potato Head and some bubble wrap) and it was a joyous kick-off to the 12-days of Christmas.
What have you been up to lately???