January 10, 2013

A January Daybook

Outside my window...
Pitch black. Because I'm actually up before the kids this morning! This is usually my goal (because I'm a happier, better-functioning mama when I get lots of some coffee in me before the kids wake up) but with Levi still waking twice a night to nurse and me running at night before bed, this doesn't always happen.

I am thankful for...
The quiet time I've had with Our Lord recently. I try to get my prayers in every morning but that's usually just me doing all the talking. (Imagine that?) But the past couple days I've actually sat down with my new prayer book/journal and tried to just be silent. I think the Lord's just getting started with me because I know there is so much He wants to say!

I am thinking about...
The stupid race calendar way. too much. I'm in the same predicament I was in before I signed up for the marathons. I can't get it out of my head! My goal is a marathon (or 50K) a month and to work up to something crazy fun for my 30th birthday in July. So far that crazy something is the White River 50 miler (crap, did I just say 50 MILES?!) or the Wonderland Trail in August. Yeah, that one's just 93 miles IN THREE DAYS. I've talked with lots of ultra-runners who say I can do it on my current training (running 2-3 days during the week and a long run on the weekend), which is good because my commitment to the family with this whole running thing is that it doesn't take up our family time. That might mean waking up at 5am on a Saturday to get a 4-hour run in before play time. At least my headlamp will be put to good use!

From the kitchen...
Accommodating food allergies galore! Max had this horrible red rash on his face for three months and nothing took it away. Finally, I eliminated peanuts and it cleared up in two days. (And apparently it's almonds, too, indicated by the almond-banana ice cream that made it flare up horribly...) And, even though the house-hold has been completely GF for 8 months, Avila and Max recently had a couple accidental exposures to gluten that left them with rashes all over their body and, um, horrible bowel movements and tummy aches. (sorry, TMI?) I'm just glad I caught it early enough to instill habits in them before they learn to crave donuts and beer. (Yeah, the last one was hard for me to give up...al least GF beer is making a rise!) I'm thinking a trip to the allergist is in order to rule out anything else. Fun times.

We are learning...
We are starting a new unit on Oceans and Beaches and my focus for January is finishing up our handwriting books, doing Read-A-Louds everyday (currently we are reading Stuart Little), and doing a few Science Experiments.

I am reading...
A big stack of magazines by my bed: Runner's World and InStyle to be exact. No wonder my favorite part of running races is choosing the outfit.

I am praying for...
I have quite a few intentions on my heart lately, but I'm especially praying for my husband (that God will give him wisdom and peace and strength) and for the couples on the Theology of the Body Marriage Encounter retreat that I am leading this weekend.

I am hearing...
Other than the typing of the keyboard and the ticking of the clock, nothing. But that's gonna change in about 15 minutes when the brood awakens.

I am hoping...
That I can get my booty into gear and get these Christmas decorations down before Easter. Ugh, between retreat prep and schooling and running I've been way too lazy busy to even think about it.

Around the house...
My desk has exploded with art work. The kids make a ba-zillion drawings a day and leave them in not-so-little piles for me on my desk. I think Avila's love language is "drawing people pictures."

I am working on...
Trusting the Lord more completely and not thinking I have everything figured out...because I most certainly don't.

Towards fitness and health...
We are kind of looking for a treadmill. Requirements: at least a 3.0 horsepower engine and 60" belt. Know of anyone who wants to sell cheap or donate to a busy-mama's running cause???

A few plans for the weekend...
Mama leading her retreat and daddy with the kids. Football banquet on Sunday.

One of my favorite things...
Baby snuggles, still. I just can't. get. over. them.

A picture to share...


Seriously my favorite picture ever of this little guy.
Caption: "I will distract you from the makers with my cuteness...Roar!"

No comments: