June 20, 2013

Why I Run. Part 1

I'm excited to post all my running pictures and give race re-caps. Mostly because I want to write down all my amazing experiences before I forget them! But before I do that, a little blurb on why I run.

But only a little blurb. OK, maybe more than that. Because I could seriously go on and on about how this sport has changed my life.

Back in September I wrote this post on why I need running. Looking back, that was just the tip of the iceberg. For God to take something I loathed and detested and turn it into, aside from my faith, the thing that challenges me to be a better wife, mom, and person leaves me both surprised and grateful. Just as having children has changed me in ways I never expected (or could change on my own) running has done the same. And I write this, not simply to justify the crazy amount of running currently in my life, but rather to point out that if we remain open to His voice, God can turn just about anything into a path of sanctification.

It all started a couple years ago when I picked up running and challenged myself to do 20 minutes. That 20 minutes slowly turned into an hour and that hour turned into three half-marathons. But even then running didn't really "click." I enjoyed it and I got the race-high but that was about it. I kinda was getting tired of it (like I usually do with things....) Then Levi came, I got nauseous, had a baby, and chilled on the couch for a couple months sleeping and nursing. And when he was just a couple months old I picked it back up again.

It was hard. Levi was a crappy sleeper and I had to run in the evenings. I remember one Wednesday afternoon, last summer, that changed everything, though. I was at the park with the kids, around noon. That afternoon I had a 5 mile run scheduled and I WAS SO TIRED I WANTED TO FALL OVER AND DIE. I was tempted by a nap instead of a run but I bucked up, put on my shoes, and headed out the door. And 3 miles in, everything clicked. I ended up doing 6 miles of hills, came home, and I knew that inside of me something had changed. I "got it."

Last fall I did 4 half-marathons, and then got bit by the marathon bug. Again, something I said I would NEVER EVER do. Halfs? Love those. Marathons? Thought they were the stupidest things on earth. Why the heck would anyone want to run for 4 hours? But I couldn't get it out of my head. So I pulled the trigger, signed up for 2 in 2 weeks (remember, the first one turned into a 50K?) and never looked back........This past weekend I just ran my 8th marathon.

There is so much more to the story but I don't want to bore you. (At least not yet.) In Part 2 I'll explore some of the life lessons I've been taught through running. Lessons that have changed me. For the better. Forever. Best of all, Mike can't call me a wimp anymore. Because let's just be honest. That's really why I run all these miles - to prove to him that his wife isn't a sissy pants.




1 comment:

jen said...

People keep telling me the marathon bug will get to me too, but I'm still in the that's crazy camp. :) Want to know a little secret...you being able to do it with 3 little ones at home inspires me!!! There have been days I wanted to bail, but have thought about what you have to do to get the miles in and it has gotten me out and running!