August 19, 2013

a busy mom's daybook


Outside my window...
quiet, for the time being. Just the hum of the cars crossing the Narrows Bridge. And the rest of the sunrise....that means I'm actually up before the kids. Win win win. Wait a second...do I hear Avila? And Levi? Crap. They always know when I'm awake. Peace out, time to go make breakfast and then off to Mass...

...three hours and one poppy diaper later...

I am thankful for...
Waiting until Max was ready to be potty trained instead of force him to do it. Last week he asked if he could be done with diapers and start wearing underwear. One afternoon he took his diaper off and used the toilet. Not perfect timing but hey, only a couple accidents later and he's full blown big boy. Best part - he gets to start Atrium (Catechesis of the Good Shepherd) in the fall. And he gets to wear the cutest little boy underwear. Although he is very curious about that "pocket."

I am thinking about...
School starting in less than two weeks and actually excited for the structure that comes with it. Lazy summer days are wonderful but they've been less than lazy with all that we've had going on. We are slowly transitioning back to more structured time. I didn't realize what a tight ship we ran back in our other house. Maybe that was because we had a good routine down and the kids knew what to expect from each day. But with everything all messed up from the move they've turned into crazy people. New house + new friends + late night + lots of errands = children who melt down in the line at IKEA and make such a scene that half the people watching feel sorry for you and the other half vow to never have children again.

From the kitchen...
With a new routine comes finally cooking again. Last night I made my favorite dinner and the kids loved it. Super easy, inexpensive, gluten/dairy free, vegan (optional) all real food.

Bean salad:
1 can each black and kidney beans
Diced red onion, sweet peppers, cilantro, cherry tomatoes
Hemp seed (optional but adds lots of protein)

Serve bean salad over quinoa and for the kids added Chicken Apple Sausage sautéed in coconut oil  and add on top roasted chickpeas (wash and roast at 400deg for about 20-30min). Delish.

We are learning...
how to live in a new house set-up - a house that is completely different from our last one in terms of layout. But different is good and I'm loving things in our new neck of the woods.

I am reading...
Mother's Rule of Life for the millionth time. Getting our routines back in order.

I am praying for...
A couple friends and their special intentions. For grace and patience in dealing with the kids. And that the grocery store doesn't run out of wine because I needs me lots of some wine.

I am hearing...
Avila rocking out to smooth jazz on the electric piano. Max pouting about not getting to play said piano. And Levi screaming because he wants to screw up my computer and I won't let him.

I am hoping...
That Levi's 30 MINUTE screaming tantrum complete with compulsions and flailing is an anomaly. But given the stubbornness of that smart little boy I think maybe not. All he wanted was his car and I wasn't going to let him down screaming because then he'll just scream every time he wants something. So I proceeded to hold him, pinned to my chest (or the ground) the entire freaking time. A couple times I got mad but that didn't help anything so about 25 minutes in I just stared into his eyes and started saying the name of Jesus. Then I held him to my chest, cheek to cheek, and prayed the Guardian Angel prayer in his ear. Within about a minute he calmed down and after a few minutes of praying it over and over he melted and we snuggled for a long long time.

Around the house...
Finally some order. I have been working like a busy (queen) bee organizing, decorating, and finding a place for everything. I can't do boxes. So excited about the vintage 70's nursery I created for Levi. Think mustard and turquoise and a small piece of art from my most special grandma that passed away a few months ago. I included an icon we've had for forever of the madonna and child, a picture of Mike's parents' view at sunset from years ago (in a vintage gold frame found at Goodwill), and retro looking mirrors we bought from a winery that was going out of business when we first got married. Love love love that room.

I am working on...
Not being stressed. Just like I don't do boxes, I don't do stress. I can handle busy, but not stress. And stress is an indicator for me that we need to slooow dowwwn.

Towards health...
Cut my running mileage in half for August (trying to heal that sprained ankle from 3 months ago...booo).

A few plans for the week...
-Mass, every morning - part of our new routine. I need something to motivate me to get up and going for the morning and I love the jolt of getting out of the house for sometime. We are literally 2 minutes from our parish and 9:00am Mass is a perfect way to start the day. Except someone tell Levi he can't scream when Max takes his mini pencils away.

-Finishing up decorating our master bedroom. Think navy and white and peacock blue and gold and mirrored lamps. To actually have a bedroom with my own closet in it is heavenly, let alone a bedroom big enough for our bed and us to walk shoulder to shoulder in at the same time.

-Football all week and next weekend.

-Family coming to visit.

One of my favorite things...
The blog Young House Love. An awesome DIY transform your house blog with amazing tips and incredible before and afters. I'm also loving Pinterest. I use it as my home binder, seriously. I open it up to plan what to pull from my closet in the morning. I use it for menu planning. I bring it on my phone when I'm looking at anything for the house. I use it for school planning. So helpful.

A picture to share...

18 months ago. A throwback to the fact that my now big kids were once small and chubby cheeked.



No comments: