September 20, 2013

7 Quick Takes


1. It was school time the other day but the weather was so awesome that I sent the kids outside to play for a bit first. I came out later to find this. Picking up individual leaves with a set of pliers. And a nest in a helmet. Weird? Yes. Inventive: Yup. Aaaand the boots: fur, in the summer. Apparently they are wearing their garden boots. Sure, it all makes sense now. This was before a loose dog apparently came running out of a house and towards them. I was inside folding laundry and you would've thought the world was coming to an end with the loud freakish screams coming from outside. Not the best thing to do around a big dog, children. You will get your face bit off. Avila was on roller skates at the time. That would've been a sight to see.




 ---

2. I'm attempting to recreate Frappucinos at home. Or at least an iced coffee pick me up for when I deal with too many bodily functions (not from me, from the boys) in one day. Notice the difference between the top and bottom picture. The secret: Xantham Gum. It's a binder used instead of gluten. Recipe: extra strong coffee/espresso, almond milk, a splash of coconut creamer, ice and a pinch of xantham gum. The bottom version was obviously better.






---

3. Speaking of trying new recipes, I'm completely Paleo now which has helped a lot with my stupid digestive issues. I have the most sensitive stomach in the world. One bite of the wrong thing and I'm left doubled over the rest of the day (and yes I'm getting tested up the wazoo to figure it out....). In addition to eliminating gluten and dairy (and soy), getting rid of grains and super starchy things has helped, too. A blog called Stuft Mama has tons of great recipes and she's a marathoner/worker outer too. (Like that, urban dictionary here I come.) The top is a dark chocolate protein muffin. Not super sweet, but with a hint of cinnamon and maybe some of her dairy free "ice cream" on top it would be fabulous. 






This is a grain free english muffin of sorts. Um, freaking awesome. I paired it with egg whites for breakfast and wasn't left with a horrible stomach ache afterwards. Win win win.



---

4. One of my favorite things to do is sit outside (wine/champagne/anything grow ups only to drink a bonus) and read magazines while the kids play. This happened to be last Friday night and it was perfect. Except I did have to get up every five minutes and pull Levi away from running after moving cars. Small price to pay for getting to enjoy a little InStyle. 




---

5. Levi, after he wakes up. He throws all the crap out of his crib and pretends to be a sad little boy until I get him. And in the morning he's starting to shout "eat eat eat eat" until I arrive. Then it's "eat eat eat eat" until he gets food. Or it's "guck guck guck guck (stuck stuck stuck stuck) like he's trapped but he's really just lying. Those tricky toddlers. 




---

6. Mike has secretly wanted a pick up truck. Well, there's nothing secret about it: he'd like a truck. But ya know we just bought a house and such and that doesn't lend to F150 buying but maybe he'd settle for something like this. Or maybe I could have it.....Pink!!!! And I could use it to pull the vintage Airstream I've wanted. Like these. Swoon.




---

7. And I don't have anything for #7. Good night. 














No comments: