September 18, 2013

Five Favorites

Doing a new thing here and linking up with Moxie Wife. Um, you have to read her blog. Kind of awesome. Her description reads: I have six kids and I love vintage dresses. Nuf said. We're besties.

Here are my "five favorites" for the week:



1. Clarisonic 

I have lots of people who ask me what I use for skin care and while there are a few things that are my favs my number 1, numero uno, go to answer always is Clarisonic. It's like a Sonicare toothbrush but for your face. I've been using one for almost a year and my skin has never ever ever been better. I do admit I was blessed with good skin genes however I started noticing lots of dark spots, red spots, and just random patches of stuff on my face. I had to start buying concealer to cover it all up and I hated putting more make up on so I wanted to get to the root of it. Apparently cleanser alone doesn't take make up off - or even strip away all the dirt for that matter. My skin is now even and soft and I can use just a swipe of make up versus a whole dun up face. (I don't have time for a dun up face.....) I tried the Olay version for a few months but it never got my face really clean. I have the Clarisonic Mia version and Nordy's or QVC will have deals every now and then. Worth every penny.



2. Waking up early

Getting up when the kids got up used to be my M.O. Mostly because I used to be up all night with a baby and you gotta do what you gotta do. But now we have some sense of a schedule I made myself start getting up at least an hour before the kids (me at 6, them usually at 7, but Max usually around lunchtime). But now that I get up early I can have lots of some coffee, blog, do some running PT exercises, and get ready. And even if the kids wake up earlier than 7:00 I don't get them (or they can't come out) until 7:00. In fact I can hear Levi singing and rattling his cage crib. Yeah, sometimes he cries, but unless it's a blood curdling scream he's realized that in the mornings he needs to chill out and have some alone time until mama comes. Waking up early has also forced me to go to bed earlier - something I've wanted to do forever. Wasting time at night watching random dumb TV was totally throwing off my entire day. Not worth it. 


Someone got snuggles and a show in mama's bed before the big kids were up.




3. Anything 70's

Well, minus that whole sexual revolution thing. Vintage furniture, the freaking awesome clothes (with a little less peace sign and a little more flare leg denim and LOTS more faux fur), and the laid back vibe. Throw in a little rocker and a little surfer chic and I've discovered my style. Someday I'll post all my favorite "mom" fashion sites. Most of them are for moms and some of them aren't. I think it's important that every woman discover what she's most comfortable in and rock it. Because we all don't look good in everything. Except maybe Jessica Alba. 


I also love leather. Anything leather. And I love this man. (And I love champagne and sunsets and a night with no kids.) Man this must be the perfect picture.





4. Pinterest

Most people have a love/hate relationship with Pinterest - that online pinboard bookmarking websites thing. You can organize everything into categories and it has become my go-to online notebook. And my relationship is all luuuv. It has totally helped me meal plan easier, get dressed easier, organize homeschooling stuff easier, decorate my home easier, pretty much everything easier. I need to reorganize my categories now that I've pinned so much stuff and for the record I do pin a lot of stuff. Those who follow me or are my friends probably think I ignore poopy diapers to spend time on Pinterest. I can neither conform nor deny that fact. 



Here's a trick for when you find something you like in a magazine: take a picture of it and upload it to Pinterest. That way you can remember it without having to rip out the page and store random articles that seriously you will never get around to reading again.
And, yes, I would totally rock this look.





5. These "breakfast" cookies

I can't remember where I got the original recipe but I've modified it so much I guess it's now my recipe. I make these all the time and they are the perfect thing to grab if I need a little pick me up or are craving something a little sweet. They are gluten free, dairy free, soy and nut free, vegan, no sugar, high protein. Can it get any better than that??? You can't really make these wrong as indicated by the fact that I just dump everything into a bowl and cook it until it tastes good.


Recipe: (I always double it because we eat them just that fast)

2 bananas, mashed
2 cups of gluten free oats (not instant)
1/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup almond milk (or coconut milk for nut free version)
1/4 cup hemp protein powder
lots of cinnamon (I mean lots)
lots of cocoa powder (1/4 cup?)
some real vanilla extra (I just eyeball. 1 tsp?)
1TB. melted coconut oil (optional)
Add ins: raisins, walnuts, chopped dates, or nothing. Or dairy free chocolate chips. 

Mix it all together and let sit for about 5 minutes,

Drop onto cookie sheet (spray with PAM first) about spoonful size. Press down with a fork to flatten/shape.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Or whenever they are done. Then eat them all. I love them dipped in Sunbutter or Almond butter for extra goodness.

Boom. Yum Yum YUM.



I keep them on a pretty cake plate. Covered, of course. Mostly so I have an extra barrier between them and my mouth.


















No comments: