April 28, 2014

muchas graci

Thank you to everyone for the comments/messages about my iron, I'll seriously take all the advice I can get! And probably going to run out and buy a cast iron skillet, Val. Haha.

Speaking of food I was craving something warm and homey and comforting so last night I whipped up some salmon chowder. Or soup? Don't know what to call it, but it hit the spot. I just kind of threw it all together and next time I'll change a few things but here's what I came up with:

-Bake some fresh Alaskan salmon drizzled in olive oil with salt/pepper (350 for about 20 min)
-Meanwhile, sautee some sweet onion, garlic, diced carrots/celery/sweet bell pepper until soft, about 10 min.
-Add 4 cup vegetable broth and I threw in some thyme, oregano, salt/pepper
-Add a large, cubed sweet potato. Bring to a boil and simmer until potato is soft
-Add a can of full fat coconut milk and heat through
-Add salmon (after chunking it up a bit)

I served the kids' with some dairy free cheese on top but mostly because the look of cheese will make them eat anything. Except this time they became whiney and Max proudly declared he *hates* soup and even though Avila pretended to be tough, neither of them ate it. (Michael loved it and Levi ate it if I gave him a tortilla chip in between bites followed by a giant (grain free from the Against All Grain amazing cookbook) cookie.

I really really wasn't in the mood for a battle so after an hour of letting them sit there, I packed up their bowls, stuck them in the fridge and served cold soup for breakfast. When that was avoided, it became lunch. Avila sucked it up and apparently after not eating for 18 hours it was the "best thing ever mom, seriously" but Max took a bit longer and finally the soup was eaten, followed by two ginormous sandwiches and the cookie he didn't get the night before.







And then we played outside because in Washington that is all you do when then sun is out. I planned ahead and did #allthelaundry yesterday (only 5 loads, light day) so we can enjoy this 80degree week coming up. Praise Jesus, mama needs some SUN.





















No comments: