November 18, 2014

I didn't mean to be rude....

So, yesterday, when I posted about my mornings I mentioned that I get dressed. Not that this is revolutionary (we, um, all do it...I hope) but I did say *no sweats* in passing. I didn't get lambasted from the SAHM's out there so either it was overlooked or people agree or something, but here is my take on why I don't wear sweats (everyday - I do SOMEDAYS, c'mon they're awesome).

I used to wear sweats/leggings/pajama pants all the time. They are cozy, comfortable, I didn't care if they got gross with spit up or stuff all over them. But over time I began to feel worse and worse about myself. Not like in a vain, I don't like the way I look, sort of way - more like an "I feel blah and I don't know why" sort of way. Sweats would feel awesome the first couple of hours I wore them but by the end of the day I was dragging, the blah-ness only getting worse. And since I was in them, I never bothered to change going to the grocery store or park or whatever else we were doing because, well, I am a stay-at-home-mom and who really cares.

But I did care. Deep down I felt off and I realized that my nice little WWU sweats (go Vikes!) were to blame.

You see, when I realized that being a mom is one of the most important things I will ever do in my life I also realized that I should probably start dressing the part. I had all these other nice things I would save for "special occasions." But special occasions don't happen all that much and sometimes the extent of me getting out is to Costco, Church, random errands, the park, etc and those clothes would sit and sit and my sweats would get all the lovin' (except to church - I drew the line there). But if, just if, being a mom is so amazing and valuable and so damn important, why was I reflecting the fact that it was just BLAH? Because that is what my sweats were saying.

I began to understand that going to the grocery store in sweats with 2 or 3 and now 4 kids portrayed something waaay different than going to the grocery store in a sweater and jeans and a pair of shoes I loved (not flip flops). In the later I would have more of a pep in my step and I never worried about running into someone I knew (because literally this happens EVERY SINGLE TIME I GO SOMEWHERE). And even if I stayed home all day and saw no one, I still need to dress the part of me doing the most important job I'll ever do - be a mom.





So, what does this mean? It has taken me a looooooooooong time to figure out what kind of clothes work for me in being a SAHM. I have, as a result, become extremely picky about what I wear because it has to fit ALL of the criteria below:

-be comfortable
-not stretch out (so long Target/GAP/other crappy jeans that sag way too low for PG eyes)
-not be too hot or too cold
-something I just wear and don't think about (because thinking about it makes me want to change into sweats)
-be appropriate enough to be able to head out the door in 5 minutes should something arise
-be good enough quality to handle aforementioned spit up, food stains, random diaper explosion

I did promise a closet post at some point (that won't be today because it's 6:56am and I will be hearing the little pitter patter of feet in approximately 4 minutes) but I am currently working on my "uniform" - THE outfit I could wear over and over and love it and feel awesome. I have it just about pinpointed but in the meantime I do challenge all us moms/women/whoever the heck is reading this to think about the awesomeness of our vocation and know that we are valuable enough to, ahem, get dressed in the morning. Because it just might give us that extra oomph to make it through the seemingly endless drudgery of bodily functions and never ending timeouts.

Just don't take Max's fashion advice.





















2 comments:

Jen Y said...

I would love to know how you style your fave jeans during the winter. I now have my eye on those bag boys, but have no idea how to pull off ankle pants in the winter, other than boots, but baggy jeans don't always work well with boots...too much bunching. Any advice/pics?

Kristine Mauss said...

I will totally post some pics and tips for wearing those in the winter. Probably in the next day or so! Stay tuned!