December 8, 2014

A December Daybook

Outside my window...
Black. It's 5:30am and I just fed Lola and it's still dark and quiet and peaceful around these parts.


I am thinking about...
What to do with the boys. I can't quite let Levi go out front by himself (even though the big kids are awesome at watching him) and, at this stage in life, I can't be out there all day so they are getting all bored and crap and causing crap around the house. Some OK (wrestling, boy stuff) and some not (fighting every other second of the day). I have to start getting creative about what to do with them for the next chunk of winter time until Lola is juts a couple months older and we can actually get out without screwing her naps (because I ask her to be flexible enough already). Any suggestion would be appreciated and I pay in prayers (that you don't have to listen to a 2-year-old whiny voice like me). 






I am hoping for...
A peaceful couple of weeks leading up to Christmas. A lot of that depends on my attitude and what I choose to fret about/let go of. So, Kristine, in the words of the song that I hear every other second: Let it Go. Let it Go. Don't hold it back anymore.




I am thankful for...
That Lola is finally over the 4 month sleep regression. I was waiting and waiting for it and it hit at just a week past 4 months. It's where their sleep turns shizzy (autocorrect wanted to say shiny. Her sleep was NOT shiny) because they are going through all these developmental milestones. Sitting up, rolling over, realizing there is more to life than boobs and swaddling. It usually only lasts about 2-3 weeks (2 1/2 for us) and if it goes longer than that then it becomes more of a sleep-association deal than the 4 month regression. (Meaning they want to be put back to sleep exactly how they fall asleep.) Since I taught her to fall asleep on her own from birth we got over it quicker than, ahem, like with little miss Avila who stayed sucky and who made me cry everyday.






I am reading...
Oooooooo, I'm actually reading! 2 grrrreat books! The first is Margin by Richard Swenson (a book on finding margin in all areas of life and shedding the overload plaguing so many of us. AMAZING BOOK) and the second is More or Less: Choosing a Lifestyle of Excessive Generosity by Jeff Shinabarger (on identifying the excess in our lives and becoming as generous as we can possible be). Only a few pages in on this one but still so guuuuuuud.


I am praying for...
My sister and her new marriage. And that I don't yell as much this week and I did last week. 


We are learning...
Our Classical Conversations classes are off for a month and we are winding down out other studies as well. Trying to spend the time reading aloud to them and doing more Advent type stuff. But Max's new math books just came and he bugs me every 5 seconds to do 100 pages and when a 4-year-old boy ASKS to do school you jump at the chance. I just won't tell him that his new handwriting book came, too......


From the kitchen...
This protein pancake. AMAZEBALLS. There are a few different ways to make it depending on the macros you need so here are a couple options:

Protein/Fat Combo:
1 egg, 2 egg whites
2 TB coconut flour
cinnamon
Wisk together (with a fork, until coconut flour is not lumpy) and fry in 1 tsp coconut oil for a few minutes each side. Don't get impatient and let it really cook on side one or it'll be mushy when you flip it!


Protein/Low fat Low carb Combo:
1/2 cup liquid egg whites (this brand) OR 3-4 egg whites (have less protein than the linked version)
1 scoop VEGA vanilla protein powder
1 TB coconut flour
Follow same directions as above.


Protein/Carb combo:
1/2 cup liquid egg whites or 3-4 egg whites
1/4 cup GF oats
1/2-1 scoop VEGA vanilla protein powder
Follow same directions as above.

I top mine with 1 TB PB2 (low fat powdered peanut butter) and 2 TB sugar free syrup. Other than these two things I don't eat any pretend/processed/chemical food but I'm sure a couple tablespoons won't kill me. Unless they do. Then I'll report back and say screw it to my recipe.




I am working on...
My capsule wardrobe and a few blog posts on mom-style. Think boyfriend jeans, cozy clothes, nursing tops, and how to buy when yo are pregnant/have a nursing newborn every other month. AND posts on the 5-minute face and how to not wash your hair for 8 days. Uh oh, I just let out my secret.


I am struggling with...
The fact that I/we have too much. I know that there will always be a level of discontentment until, like, I die or something, but I feel so convicted about paring down to the essentials of life that it's eating away at me until we get there. BUT I know it's a journey and I will get there at some point and in the meantime I say "thank you God!" that I can actually complain about this silly first world problem. And I say "thank you husband!" for putting up with my psychosis when I randomly freak out and ask you to clean out the garage...again.


Around the house...
A mess. Laundry, random crap everywhere. STUFF ON THE COUNTERS. I hate stuff on the counters (see above). My life is crazy and busy enough - I don't need stuff on the counters. BUUUT at least everything has a place so today we will going from room to room to put it all back so we can enjoy the week. Plus the amazing lady who cleans our house is coming this morning and I'm about to do the happy dance. YES, I have someone who cleans my house. (Remember, I don't do it all......) And every. single. time. she comes I tell her what a freaking awesome blessing she is to our lives and to my patience level.


Towards health...
I transitioned from running long distances (spending that time snuggling on a newborn instead) and have been working out with our awesome neighbor/trainer at Innovative Fitness. Think heavy weights, being pushed to the edge, the rowing machine, speed work, and a meal plan that I wanted to kill him over the first two weeks. But it's all good now. Bring it on single leg racked squats. XOXO


Towards faith...
Praying the St. Andrew Christmas Novena. I think I almost cry every time I say it. It is the most beautiful prayer EVER and it's known to work miracles, people. Pray it everyday from now until Christmas and don't be surprised if your heart is changed! My special intention is something I've been struggling with for a loooong time so St. Andrew and his fleet have much work to do on my soul.

Hail and blessed be the hour and moment in which the Son of God was born of the most pure Virgin Mary, at midnight, in Bethlehem, in piercing cold. In that hour, vouchsafe, O my God! to hear my prayer and grant my desires (insert request here), through the merits of Our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of His Blessed Mother. Amen.



A few plans for the week...
Mass this morning (all 4 kids. By myself. Feast of the Immaculate Conception where Mary was conceived in her mama's womb and we give a shout out to the Lord's awesomeness in this act!). Ballet rehearsal for the Nutcracker. Non-yelling. Christmas Parties Round 2. And Avila's first Nutcracker performance.


One of my favorite things...
Lola getting swaddled. She becomes this giddy, laughing, babbling, cooing, bubble blowing kid and she gets so excited! Either she's excited to be sleeping (again) or she's trying to trick me into keeping her awake and just playing. I face the dilemma every time that smile inches across her face.







A picture to share...
Mr. Trouble Man who was mad that I woke him up from a nap after he was mad that I put him down for a nap.

























1 comment:

Jen Y said...

That smile...is there anything better than a happily swaddled baby?!