January 5, 2015

A January Daybook

Outside my window...
Rain. Boooooo. And darkness. The dark part doesn't seem to bother me so much this year but the rain and the gray are not cool. Oh well, I need to have something to complain about other than toddler diapers so rain it is.


I am thinking about...
All the balls I have in the air and how I'm going to juggle them without one falling. I guess if I'm afraid one is going to fall (and break) then perhaps I possess too many balls. I should throw a ball across the lawn. That's it. Time time let go of a ball. Now, which one?


I am hoping for...
A consistency to our schedule now that Lola is older. I'm thinking of just writing it out and plugging her in it and seeing what she does. It's just getting too tricky with all this random napping and now that she can stay awake longer without turning into devil baby (and stay awake random time lengths) I think we can safely move to a 9am, 1pm, 5pm nap routine. Crossing the fingers at least.


I am praying for...
not to sound vague, but a big special intention. We are also doing something cool with all the Christmas cards we received this year (shout out Nichole because I stole this idea from you!). Every night we take a card and, at dinner, say a prayer for that family - that God will bless them this upcoming year. Love love love love this new tradition and the kids love it too. Feel free to steal it from me if you have your cards laying around. Or at least remember to pray for us 'cause I need all the help I can muster.


I am thankful for...
Grace. Especially the kind that comes when I fail and fall over and over and over again. Life is tough, man. Doing the right thing, being the right thing, having the right heart is so not easy. But dag-nabit this Grace keeps me chugging along.


I am reading...
Still working on  More or Less: Choosing a Lifestyle of Excessive Generosity by Jeff Shinabarger. Just reading a few pages a night to let it sink in. Actually I'm only reading a few pages because by the time I get to read I'm so flipping tired I can't keep my eyes open...


We are learning...
School starts back up again today which means I need to get my butt into gear. Nothing like lesson planning on Monday morning at 6AM. Going to ease into it this week - mostly the basics plus our Classical Conversations review. I'm also starting a new chore chart/allowance system with the kids that will start either this week or next. I need to inject MR. MAX with some good work ethic before he melts into the couch as MR. SLOTH MAN who gets emotional every time you ask him to do something.


From the kitchen...
Crap, so glad meal prep is done. Between all the distractions and feeding Lola and other random stuff I was in the kitchen for, um, 3 hours. At least that's done for the week...


I am working on...
Sitting down. The only times I sat down yesterday was half of Mass and to nurse. I even eat standing up. Perhaps I'm afraid that once I sit down I will never ever again have the motivation to get up. But if I can't even sit down then I really do have too many balls in the air. Time to trim the fat. Mama needs couch time every once in a while.


I am struggling with...
Not being so darn impatient with the kids. Break times are fun but I also don't end up spending as much time with them (plus we're out of our routine) which means I get annoyed with them a lot easier. These kids are my numero uno - especially at this stage in life - and I have to keep that in the forefront at all times. Everything else, no matter what, pales in comparison to how I treat them, talk to them, the time I spend with them, and on and on. I have such a short window of time when they are yittle - I can't waste it on my own crap. Time to buck up and pray for the GRACE (there's that word again) to be a kind mother in all my interactions and choices.


Around the house...
Christmas was put away yesterday, which means I don't have to worry about a 10,000b stocking holder falling on me every time I open the cabinet door to get some paper. It only took me an hour to take down and put everything away which means I decorated right this year, yesssss. Loving the seemingly bareness of the house at the start of this new year and new season of life.


Towards health...
Had to ditch the Keurig BECAUSE IT WAS MAKNG ME SICK. My poor little body is so damaged from being uneducated Celiac for so long and everything remotely weird or artificial sends my insides into crazy mode. For a few months I had been having severe bloating and stomach cramps after my morning coffee. Thinking it was the coffee (and being in denial because there's no way I can give up coffee, too. That would be a sick joke) I just endured the pain. Then I realized that, in Orlando, I never got sick in the morning. I was drinking coffee from a coffee stand and thought, hmmmm, could this be it?! So I bought a $30 coffee maker from good ol' Tar-jay and lo and behold, no stomach cramps, no bloating. Perhaps it's the instant type coffee in the K-Cups or the plastic or the brewing process (yes, I cleaned my brewer all the time) but that thing is shelved and I'm back old school. Whew.


Towards faith...
Michael and I started the 33 Days to Morning Glory - a mini retreat to dedicate our lives, our year, our family to Jesus through Mary. It's based on St. Louis de Montfort's Marian Consecration and we are so excited for all the fruits it will generate for our family.


A few plans for the week...
Back to school, a couple appointments, and our first Adventure this coming weekend.


One of my favorite things...
Eskimo kisses with Lola. OMGosh how she laughs.


A picture to share...

THOSE EYES. Freeze time, FREEZE.





















1 comment:

Cory said...

Cory and I just finished 33 days to Morning Glory,on Our Lady of Guadalupe, and our family has been transformed. I am in shock at the difference. Praying for you guys as you do it!