January 6, 2015

The 5 Minute Face

OK, 6 minutes if you add the lipstick...






But seriously, after figuring out what make-up I love the best and shrinking my *put on my face* time to as short as possible, I have honed it down to my five-minute face. I have tried lots of different products and these are my go-to, never can be without basics. Products are listed at the end. Process is below. Have fun painting away ladies!


WAIT, WAIT before I begin the MOST IMPORTANT STEP: facial cleansing and skin care. I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wash my face every night. No matter what. Even if I'm up until 2am (that one time a year) or if I am so tired I want to die, I still wash my face. AND, I use a Clarisonic. You know, that vibrating face brush thing. I swear by it, hands down the only skin care product I would use if given the choice. I used to use the Olay version but still had gunk on my face afterwards as evidenced by the make-up on the cotton ball even after washing. So, I bought the Clarisonic Mia version on sale at Nordstrom (runs about $150. had mine two years so far, still going strong. QVC has awesome deals if you can snag one there) and THE FIRST NIGHT that I used it I noticed a difference. And over a short amount of time my skin became smoother, brighter, and I needed way less make-up. Tip: change the brush head every three months or you'll start breaking out. OH, and sunscreen. Starting to wear that everyday on my face and chest and hands. OK, onto some fun...




STEP 1: Splash face with cold water and apply moisturizer. I use Shiseido and love love love it. Here's a post I did awhile back with my skincare products. Used to love Clinique but then they started adding barely and my face almost died.



STEP 2: Primer and concealer. 
I use a radiance primer all over and a brightening concealer under my eyes, on my eye lids and down the center of my nose. I found Primer to be one of the most important make-up pieces I own. It helps everything to last all day and it gives a good base for everything to go on.









STEP 3: Foundation
I use a powder foundation and buff it on all over my face. Used to use Bare Minerals but for a few years now LOVE Laura Mercier. (Again, products are listed below) Best part is I can put as little or as much on as I want and it still looks natural.







STEP 4: Bronzer and Eye Powder Stuff
I sweep the broker on the upper part of my forehead and make a *3* on each side of my face: sweeping down the temples, coming in at the cheeks, back out and sweeping down to the chin. Should look like you're writing a forwards and backwards 3 depending on the side. See how the areas are a bit darker? It hits right where the sun would naturally give some color. The under eye stuff is from Bare Minerals and is called Well-Rested. I use it under my eyes, on my eye lids, down the center of my nose, in between my eyebrows, and on my upper lip. Totally makes you look non-tired. Win win for my fried mommy brain.





Awkward face shot...







STEP 5: Blush
Just a wee bit, on the apples of the cheeks. In the winter, sometimes I like to put a little on the tip of my nose to look like I'm a snow bunny or something, bahahaha. Oh, and you must excuse the name of the color. Not going to list it, lol, but will link to it. It's actually considered to be the most universally flattering blush colors and I wear it everyday. Or sometimes I wear brink pink. 







STEP 6: Eyebrows
I use an eyebrow wand thing to fill in sparse areas. Just sweep it on like mascara. After the eyebrows I use a face setting powder over the top of everything (not shown) and it makes everything last all day, EVEN during a run or workout. 






STEP 6: Mascara
I listed both kinds I love below and either alternate them or pair them together. But I love the L'Oreal one. Doesn't smear and is easy to take off at night. Once I used the Benefit For Real Mascara and IT BROKE MY LASHES OFF. So I started using Talika eyelash stuff at night and after a couple months my eyelashes doubled in length. Love that product.









Awkward photo, round 2. But there you have it. Add some lipgloss or lipstick and you're good to go.






Now, for the products. I placed them left to right in the order I use them:






Concealer: Dior



Brush: Kabuki brush from Costco 







Blush: Nars

Face Setting Powder: Make-up Forever HD





Mascaras I love: L'Oreal Butterfly Lashes. Yves St Laurent Baby Doll. Cover Girl waterproof stuff (I use this on the lower lashes)




My organized self keeps it all in a tiered case thing from Target that I store under the sink. OH, and that eye shadow palette on the right is the bomb. Urban Decay Naked Palette. Super natural colors that are easy to mix and match.






So, there you have it. And now that I've gone over my allowed morning bloggo time I have 4 minutes and not 5 to put my face on. On your mark, get set, go................













5 comments:

* Chrissy * said...

Good to know about the face setting powder. I've been on the hunt but haven't been that impressed with any (enough to make it a staple). I'll try it!

Katherine said...

Love this! It's my new morning inspiration. I had to make a few substitutions, but I got pretty close with what I had on hand. Can you post about your 15 minute face too?

Unknown said...

Chrissy, it's awesome stuff! I used to never use it too but now I'm sold.

Unknown said...

Katherine, yay I'm glad you liked it! And I will :) I have some awesome eyeliner and shadows that are my go to that I'll share.

Unknown said...

Hey Kristine! I've been looking into the clarisonic. But can't decide between the 2 and the aria. I just got a 20% off coupon for Ulta do I think it's time to bite the bullet! Any advice for me?? Heidi Fulker 😀